Archive | September 28, 2018
A couple of weeks ago, residents of Abuja reported experiencing earth tremors. As usual, there were calls for calm, and even a scheduled press conference that never happened. But it looks like we may have to intensify our efforts (prayers?) because the National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) just released some pretty bad news. Nigeria is now prone to seismic hazards, which make earthquake occurrence a potential disaster for the country.
NASRDA has identified communities in four states and Abuja as locations where major earthquakes are likely to occur in the country. The director-general of NASRDA and chairman of the presidential committee on the Abuja tremor (no, we did not make this up), Prof. Seidu Mohammed, disclosed this on Thursday.
According to Prof. Mohammed, Mpape in Abuja, Kwoi in Kaduna state, Ijebu Ode in Ogun state, Shaki in Oyo state and Igbogene in Bayelsa state are likely to be epicentres of major earthquakes, if precautions are not taken.
Why? Apparently, the previously inactive earth faults system in Nigeria are gradually becoming active, making earthquakes likely in and around the country. A number of incidents in these locations, according to him, also point that those locations are primes for a big disaster.
According to an analysis of a 100 year-old research, Mpape in Abuja is a hotspot which is highly susceptible to earth tremor and other earth shakeups, and the high volume of water being taken out of over 110, 000 boreholes is worsening the situation.
The solution, the DG says, is a thorough study across the country to identify and monitor earthquake hotspots that may have been missed. He also reiterated the need for a satellite system to improve monitoring and predictive accuracy.
Anyone else nervous? No? Just us? Okay.
Courtesy of konbini.com
The social media giant says it does not yet know whether accounts were misused or information accessed, and has informed police.
Facebook has said 50 million user accounts were affected by a security breach which potentially enabled hackers to take over people’s accounts.
The social media giant has not yet determined whether the accounts were misused or information was accessed.
Nor does it know who is behind the breach or where they are based.
Facebook said the hack was discovered on Tuesday afternoon, and stemmed from a change it made to its video uploading feature in July 2017.
Something called “View As”, which allows users to see what their profile looks like to someone else, subsequently became vulnerable.
Guy Rosen, from the California-based company, said hackers were able to “steal Facebook access tokens which they could then use to take over people’s accounts”.
In a statement on the company’s website, he described access tokens as the “equivalent of digital keys that keep people logged in to Facebook so they don’t need to re-enter their password every time they use the app”.
He added: “It’s clear that attackers exploited a vulnerability in Facebook’s code.
“We’ve fixed the vulnerability and informed law enforcement.”
About 90 million people will now have to log back in, after an additional 40 million accounts, on top of the initial 50, were reset as a precautionary measure.
The “View As” feature has been temporarily turned off as the company conducts a “thorough security review”.
While an investigation is still in its early stages, Mr Rosen said Facebook was “working hard to better understand” what had happened.
“If we find more affected accounts, we will immediately reset their access tokens,” he added.
Mr Rosen said users’ privacy and security were “incredibly important”, and apologised for what had happened.
Courtesy of Sky News