A mammoth winter storm that struck only Monday evening and buried some parts of Colorado under historic record snowfall began to leave the state Tuesday afternoon. It’s headed towards neighboring Nebraska to inflict its snowy misery on the Cornhusker State.
Colorado weathermen, however, are keeping their eyes on a second snowstorm system expected to arrive Friday. They predict a cold and dry Thanksgiving with lots of snow.
Monday’s winter storm dumped historic snowfall on Boulder and Fort Collins, said local TV station CBS4. Weathermen said many areas along the Front Range experienced the most snow in three years. Among these were the community of Drake with 33 inches of snow; Livermore with 32 inches; and Coal Creek Canyon with 30 inches.
Colorado officials reported the highest snow totals took place in the foothills of Boulder and Larimer Counties where snowfall hit 3 feet in some areas. Denver International Airport (DIA) officially reported 7 inches of snow as of 5:00 a.m. Tuesday.
Hundreds of flights to and from DIA were canceled Tuesday as maintenance crews worked feverishly to clear heavy snow from runways. DIA is the largest airport in North America by total land area and the second largest in the world.
More than 1,100 passengers were forced to spend Monday evening at the airport due to the heavy snowstorm, said airport spokeswoman Alex Renteria. She said airport employees handed out blankets, baby formula and diapers to stranded passengers while restaurants stayed open past their usual closing time to serve those stranded.
DIA reported 475 flights cancelled Tuesday. Airport crews deployed snowplows, sand trucks and 20 other types of equipmenty to clear and keep the runways open on Tuesday.
Oddly, and despite the snowstorm, most ski areas in Colorado have seen less snow than Denver and the Front Range. Local media said there is still plenty of fresh powder on the mountains ahead of Thanksgiving.
Courtesy of ibtimes.com
Photo: REUTERS/Bob Strong
A powerful snowstorm swept across Colorado and into the U.S. Midwest on Tuesday, blocking roads and causing hundreds of flight cancellations that threatened travel plans for many people hoping to fly or drive to Thanksgiving feasts this week.
The storm dumped a foot (30 cm) of snow in parts of Colorado and buffeted the Denver area with wind gusts of 45 miles per hour (72 kph). Nearly 500 flights were canceled and more than 350 delayed at Denver International Airport by Tuesday afternoon.
“We just landed at the Denver Airport! Crazy conditions. Literally 0 visibility,” Amber Kimbrell, a high school science teacher from Huntsville, Alabama, said in a Twitter message. She posted a photo of a runway covered in white.
Some 55 million travelers planned to fly or drive at least 50 miles (80 km) from their homes for the Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday, according to the American Automobile Association, but the snow will likely alter those plans for many.
“Nothing like starting Thanksgiving break with boarding the plane in the snow, sitting on the tarmac for 2 hours,” Jude Matyo-Cepero, a University of Nebraska professor, wrote on Instagram.
By early Tuesday afternoon, the storm was pushing northeast, with parts of northwest Kansas and western Nebraska reporting snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches (10 to 20 cm), coupled with winds of 50 mph (80 kph), the National Weather Service said.
Treacherous conditions forced the closure of eastbound Interstate 70 from east of Denver to the Kansas state line, and Interstate 76 from Denver northeast to the Nebraska state line, the Colorado Department of Transportation said. Officials advised drivers to stay off the roads, with strong winds creating white-out conditions across the region.
Schools and many retailers in the Denver metropolitan area were closed. But grocery stores, already well-stocked ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday, were ready for a deluge of customers.
“So far so good. It doesn’t seem to be impacting us much,” Phil Vanderlaan, a cashier at a Safeway store in Denver, said by phone. “Probably later throughout the day it might.”
A stronger storm was expected to hit Northern California and Oregon by Tuesday night, the weather service said, which may drop 1 feet to 3 feet (30 to 90 cm) of snow across mountainous areas.
Courtesy of reuters.com
“In carrying out instructions from the General of the Army Corps, Deputy Minister of National Defence, Chief of Staff of the National People’s Army, regarding the rapid response of ANP units deployed in localities that have recorded climate disturbances, and as part of their humanitarian missions, ANP detachments from the sidi Bel Abbes military sector (2nd Military Region) intervened in the regions of Rdjem Demouch, Sidi Chouaib, Dhaya, Oued-Sbaa and Tamlaka on National Highway 13 and at the intersection of Tamlaka and Oued Sbaa towards Titin Yaia, in order to open up these communities that have experienced heavy snowfall,” the same source said.
The ANP elements “provided assistance and assistance to citizens and proceeded to clear snow from blocked roads and runways”.
The ANP High Command “reaffirms the permanent mobilization of its units for intervention, de-enclavement, support and solidarity with citizens in all the affected regions by mobilizing human and material resources necessary,” the statement added.
Courtesy of aps.dz
Photo By @minafkamel
Hours of heavy on 22 October, 2019, caused flash flooding across parts of Cairo, Egypt.
Northeastern parts of Greater Cairo were the worst affected, including Nasr City and areas around Cairo’s international airport. Flights were delayed after flooding damaged a terminal building and blocked surrounding roads preventing passengers from reaching the airport.
Locals blamed the city’s poor drainage systems for the flooding, which caused traffic chaos on the city’s streets. Schools and universities have been closed in parts of Cairo, Giza and Qalyubia.
Local media reported that one person died as a result of flooding in 10th of Ramadan City, Greater Cairo.
Earlier Egyptian Meteorological Authority (EMA) had warned of unstable weather in the country which is likely to last until at least Friday 25 October, 2019.
Courtesy of floodlist.com
Monster #Typhoon #Hagibis claims first victim as #Tokyo braced for #Japan’s worst #storm in 60 years
A car is overturned in Chiba Prefecture near Tokyo, Japan, on October 12. © Xinhua/Deng Min via Global Look Press
More than 1.6 million people have been ordered to evacuate as Japan gears up for potentially record breaking wind and rain as Typhoon Hagibis claims its first victim before even making landfall.
Winds are set to reach 216km/h (134mph) and trigger floods and landslides when the monster storm barrels into central or eastern Japan on Saturday, the country’s Meteorological Agency has warned.
Chiba October 12. © Xinhua/Deng Min via Global Look Press
The sky turned a dark shade of purple on Saturday evening and residents shared striking images of the startling specticle on their social media platforms.
Ahead of the massive storm crashing into the main island of Honshu, it already claimed its first victim as a man was killed when a vehicle toppled over in heavy winds in Chiba, east of Tokyo, NHK News reports.
Hagibis is forecast to be the first storm rated “very strong” to hit Honshu since the category system was introduced in 1991. The Meteorological Agency said it could bring record rainfall on a par with a deadly typhoon in 1958 that triggered mudslides in Kanto and flooded the Kano River in Shizuoka Prefecture, leaving 888 dead and 381 missing, AFP reports.
Tens of thousands of homes are already without power and transport systems, factories and shops have been shut down. The typhoon has also disrupted the Japanese Grand Prix, forced the cancellation of two Rugby World Cup matches and grounded more than 1,600 flights.
Courtesy of rt.com
British Airways travellers are facing cancellations and delays to their flights due to an IT glitch which has crashed online check-ins in the middle of the summer holidays.
The airline has cancelled 81 flights to or from Heathrow as well as 10 at Gatwick, affecting around 15,000 passengers.
More than 200 other flights have been delayed, with some more than five hours behind schedule.
The company apologised to customers for the disruption as images posted on social media by those waiting to fly out showed long queues at airports and error messages on the airline app.
BA ticketholders travelling to the UK from elsewhere – including from the United States, Japan and Vietnam – also vented their frustration online, suggesting a knock-on effect with planes and crews out of position.
A BA spokesman said: “We are very sorry to our customers for the disruption to their travel plans.
“We are working as quickly as possible to resolve a systems issue which has resulted in some short-haul cancellations and delays from London airports.”
The airline said it was offering customers booked on short-haul flights from Heathrow, Gatwick and London City on Wednesday the opportunity to rebook for another day.
“A number of flights continue to operate but we are advising customers to check ba.com for the latest flight information before coming to the airport,” the spokesman added.
“We are encouraging customers to check ba.com for the latest flight information, and to allow additional time at the airport.”
BA said it was not a global outage, and that it was relying on back-up and manual systems to cope with the computer problems.
The airline, which is owned by International Airlines Group, could face a compensation bill in excess of £5m if all those affected claim what they are entitled to under European Union rules.
Holidaymakers arriving at Terminal 5 at Heathrow have been greeted by digital message boards which told them “short-haul check-in is closed” and urging them to make their way back home.
Ysanne Bonner tweeted that she had “spent weeks preparing an anxious teen for our holiday to Naples”, only to learn two hours before leaving that their flight had been cancelled.
“No idea if we will get our long planned & saved for and much needed week away. Devastated but trying to remain hopeful,” she wrote.
Others like Joanna Lewis said they had spent hundreds of pounds on new flights with another airline. “Nice end to the holiday,” she tweeted.
Some already abroad and facing delays or cancellations to their flights home saw the positive in being forced to extend their summer escapades.
“At least if the flight’s cancelled, then we’ll be stuck in sunny Spain,” tweeted Becky Crane.
Many passengers complained of little or no information on the status of their flights, while others who had better experiences commended staff for “managing the chaos”.
Darren Rowe, from the Cotswolds, said his 10.20am flight to Hamburg from Heathrow for business meetings was cancelled before “all chaos let loose”.
He said: “There were massive queues, it was queue here, queue there, nobody was saying anything. The lack of information was just pathetic.
“You’ve got young families in that queue, people going to weddings, birthdays, on business. They could have had somebody come around with water updating people about what was going on.”
Courtesy of Sky News
Gatwick Airport says flights have been suspended due to an “air traffic control system issue” in the control tower.
Outbound and inbound flights will be delayed until at least 9pm, according to the Eurocontrol Netowrk Operations Portal.
A statement from Gatwick says: “Due to an air traffic control systems issue in Gatwick’s control tower, flights are currently suspended. We are working with ANS, our air traffic control provider, to rectify this issue as quickly as possible.
“We apologise and passengers should check with their airline directly or on our website flights page for the latest information on their flight.”
Due to an air traffic control systems issue in Gatwick’s control tower, flights are currently suspended. We are working with ANS, our air traffic control provider, to rectify this issue as quickly as possible.
— Gatwick Airport LGW (@Gatwick_Airport) July 10, 2019
UPDATE: 10 July 18.10: Due to an air traffic control systems issue in Gatwick’s control tower, flights remain suspended. We are working with ANS, our provider, to rectify this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise and advise passengers to check flight info with your airline.
— Gatwick Airport LGW (@Gatwick_Airport) July 10, 2019
The issue began at 5.08pm on Wednesday afternoon.
The airport say there is already a divert plan in place, and inbound flights are being sent to other airports.
Gatwick, in West Sussex, is Britain’s second busiest airport, behind Heathrow.
Courtesy of Sky News