One person was taken to hospital and 28 others required treatment after a suspected chemical incident at the Jaguar Land Rover plant in Solihull.
West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) sent its hazardous area response team to the scene on Sunday after several members of staff complained of feeling unwell following the application of floor sealant.
The workers were instructed to leave the site near Birmingham and remove their outer clothes in case of contamination, with Birmingham Live reporting that some had to be “hosed down”.
Posting on Twitter, the WMAS team said: “Our team alongside senior ambulance officers and ambulance crews responded to a suspected chemical incident at Jaguar Land Rover Solihull. Twenty-eight people were assessed and given advice at the site, with one person being transported to hospital with minor symptoms.”
Most of those who were assessed were said to have started feeling better once outside in the fresh air, with the crews having carried out its “remove, remove, remove” guidelines.
That involved telling those affected to get out of the immediate area, take off their outer clothing if affected, and remove any sign of the substance from their skin.
Signs of exposure to a hazardous substance can include odd smells and tastes, unexplained skin, eye or airway irritation, nausea, vomiting, twitching, sweating, disorientation and breathing problems.
Courtesy of Sky News
#Children Rushed to Hospital Due to #ChemicalLeak in #SwimmingPool’ in #Letterkenny, #Donegal, #Ireland
A large number of children have reportedly been taken ill at an Irish leisure centre due to a suspected chemical leak in the swimming pool. Several emergency services vehicles have been seen outside the Aura Leisure Centre, in Letterkenny, Donegal.
Three children were rushed to hospital, while another 50 to 60 were treated on site after the incident, Donegal Daily reports. One mother told the publication how her son had been diving in when they first spotted a ‘dark fluid’ coming into the pool under the water. She said: ‘Kids were screaming and running around. Some dark brown fluid came in the pool and the staff took them out.
‘Kids were sick, coughing and vomiting. The kids were all shaking and scared.’ Around 100 people were evacuated from the leisure centre. The mother said she was told to go home with her children, but said others were taken to hospital. The area has now been closed off to the public.
Courtesy of metro.co.uk