Archive | coronavirus RSS for this section

London coronavirus: Edgware GP surgery deep cleaned after patient tested for coronavirus after ‘returning from Thailand’ #nCoV2019 #COVID19 #coronavirus #uk #wuhan #china #Thailand #emergency #epidemic #Edgware #London #MulberryMedicalPractice #SeftonAvenueSurgery #GPsurgery

Coronavirus Alert

A surgery in Edgware was forced to close after a patient was tested for coronavirus.

Mulberry Medical Practice (also known as Sefton Avenue Surgery) closed its doors on Wednesday, February 20 as a precaution, but has today reopened after a deep clean of the practice.

News of the closure came to light on a local Facebook group, where an individual wrote: “I was messaged by a member who is a patient of Sefton Avenue Surgery, Mullberry Practice to say that they have had a patient with a suspected case of coronavirus after returning from Thailand.

“The patient has been tested and are awaiting results but are not concerned.”

MyLondon contacted the surgery and a staff member confirmed the practice closed yesterday due to concerns over coronavirus but has now re-open after a full clean of the building.

It has not been confirmed if the patient has tested positive for coronavirus.

Some patients booked in for appointments yesterday at the surgery were contacted to say that they had been cancelled.

MyLondon also spoke with a representative at the Department of Health who said they were unable to comment on individual cases.

So far there have been nine confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK.

Courtesy of mylondon.news

https://tinyurl.com/wquersh

Coronavirus: Two passengers on quarantined cruise have died from COVID-19 #nCoV2019 #COVID19 #coronavirus #Japan #Yokohama #wuhan #china #emergency #ship #quarantine #epidemic

Coronavirus Alert

Two passengers who were on a coronavirus-hit cruise ship have died from COVID-19.

The victims – a Japanese man and woman in their 80s – are the first people from the Diamond Princess to lose their lives from the illness.

Both had underlying health problems and had been in hospital after being taken off the ship.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has said an evacuation flight for British passengers will leave Tokyo on Friday.

It is understood that only those without symptoms will be able to fly back to the UK.

There are 78 British nationals on the ship, four of whom have been confirmed to have COVID-19.

Once passengers have returned to the UK, they will be kept in isolation at Arrowe Park Hospital on the Wirral.

It is the same facility where 94 people who were flown back to the UK from Wuhan – the Chinese city at the epicentre of the outbreak – were quarantined.

British passengers on board the Diamond Princess have repeatedly begged authorities to bring them home, saying they feel “desperate”.

More than 620 people have tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, on the cruise liner.

The Diamond Princess has been controversially quarantined in Yokohama, off the coast of Japan, since 3 February.

On Wednesday, passengers started to disembark the ship after the two-week isolation came to an end – and another 500 are expected to leave today.

Crew members and those who had shared a room with anyone who tested positive for COVID-19 are still required to remain in quarantine.

Japanese officials have not confirmed how many people remain on board, or when everyone will be allowed to leave the cruise liner.

Some passengers from the US, Hong Kong and Australia have already returned home.

In mainland China, the number of new cases of COVID-19 has dropped.

China’s central Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak, reported 349 new confirmed cases on Thursday, down from 1,693 the previous day.

The death toll has now reached over 2,128 globally, with all but eight deaths in mainland China.

Courtesy of Sky News

https://tinyurl.com/wsulavm

Iran confirms first 2 cases of new coronavirus #nCoV2019 #COVID19 #coronavirus #Tehran #Iran #wuhan #china #emergency #epidemic

Coronavirus Alert

Tehran confirmed on Wednesday its first two cases of the new coronavirus shortly after reports that preliminary tests on two patients had come back positive.

“As we had promised to announce any confirmed cases, a few minutes ago the health minister confirmed the two cases of the new coronavirus in the city of Qom,” Ali Rabiei, the government spokesman, tweeted.

The Health Ministry said earlier that the patients had been put in isolation. Rabiei did not give the nationality of the two people infected, but some reports suggested that they were Iranian nationals.

The death toll from the new coronavirus in mainland China passed 2,000 on Wednesday although the number of new cases fell for a second straight day, Reuters said.

Courtesy of rt.com

https://tinyurl.com/v363cnx

London coronavirus: Capital ‘could host 2020 Olympics’ due to Tokyo infection fears #nCoV2019 #COVID19 #Coronavirus #Olympics #Tokyo #Japan #Wuhan #China #London #UK

Coronavirus

This year’s Olympics could be hosted right here in London after fears coronavirus might force Tokyo 2020 to be moved, according to the city’s mayoral candidates.

The global sporting event, which is held every four years, is meant to be hosted by Japan this year but comparable events across Asia are being cancelled over fears they will force help spread the deadly virus.

Conservative candidate Shaun Bailey told CityAM: “Given the ongoing disruption caused by the coronavirus outbreak, I urge the Olympic Committee to seriously consider how London could stand ready to host the Olympics should the need arise.

“We have the infrastructure and the experience, and if I am elected I will make sure London is ready to host the biggest sporting celebration again, if we are called on in an hour of need.”

In agreement, Mayor Sadiq Khan also told the paper that London will “step up” if needed.

A spokesperson for the paper said: “Everyone is working towards what will be a fantastic Tokyo Games. In the unlikely event that it be required, London, as it has done throughout history, will do its best to step up to the plate.”

The death toll for the virus has now risen above 2,000 globally but all but six have been in China, where the infection started, and none of these have happened in Britain.

Courtesy of mylondon.news

https://tinyurl.com/tdmhm25